Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Emily Deschanel: I Don't Need a Husband to be Happy



Emily Deschanel has found her primetime niche in Fox’s Bones as Dr. Temperance Brennan, the brilliant but socially challenged forensic scientist who finds it easier to solve crimes than get along with others, especially the opposite sex.


Are they or aren’t they?
“It seems to me that Brennan doesn’t want a child unless it’s Booth’s child, so we’ll see where it goes. I do want to see them get together and their relationship is going to change dramatically at the end of this season. The two of them have had this chemistry together. But, the physical side of it has evolved very gradually. I think that’s been a great way to explore a relationship.”


The things she loves about her off-beat character.
“How flawed Brennan is and yet, how strong and intelligent. I think it is wonderful to have a character who has this great strength along with a bunch of idiosyncrasies that provide some humor to balance the grimness of her job. And she doesn’t pretend to be modest. I think it’s endearing that she calls herself a genius all the time.”


What they have in common.
“Science and math were always my favorite subjects, so I can relate to that part of her. I don’t put up those walls like Brennan does. I’m a more open person. But I can be a little fearless even though I think she’s more fearless than I am. We both take things literally. We’re both like, ‘ Just get down to it. Just explain it to me, nuts and bolts.’”

She’s not feeling any pressure to get hitched.
“I am so happy my parents never made me worry about finding a husband. My mother chose to get married and have children, but she raised my sister and I very much as modern women who don’t need that in your life to be happy. Sometimes it does frustrate me that a lot of people assume you will get married and raise a family. You don’t have to. But who knows? I may very well do both.”


Facing up to the ugly side of Bones.
“I leave it behind. The emotional stuff can take its toll, so I try not to take it home. In some ways, I’ve become desensitized to all the trauma. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. But during the first season I was so ready for it to be done. I’d had enough of blood, gore and horrible deaths.”

Why she doesn’t always look like a star.
“We were always inspected before we left the house and if we’d have one piece of lint on our outfit we’d get called on it. My mom was always going, ‘Put on some lipstick.’ No wonder that I like being messy and occasionally look a little like a bag lady. That’s my rebellion. I like to run around with no make up on whatsoever.”

What she’s learned about living.
“You can definitely have bad times, but I try to like have a moment where I look outside of myself and see that I’m making some kind of horrible face at what’s happening. Then I just laugh at myself. I think it’s really important to laugh at yourself. And don’t forget we have this great gift, life. But we don’t have it forever.”

SOURCE