Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

'Facebook and Twitter are killing romance,'

Drew Barrymore in September's issue of Marie Claire



She may be only 35, but Drew Barrymore sounds years above her age as she laments modern technology.
As she poses in a sultry new photoshoot for Marie Claire magazine, the actress admits she is a technophobe, claiming social networking sites and test messaging is killing off romance.
The E.T. star, who is in an on/off relationship with actor Justin Long, admits she longs for the days of decades past when the written word was more important.


While her contemporaries Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Alba and Demi Moore are always online, fans of Barrymore can't expect to see her starting up a Twitter, MySpace or Bebo account any time soon.
She tells the September issue of Marie Claire: 'The fact that I’m begging for a phone call is pathetic in this age of technology. Plans are made by text - I can’t stand it.
'I just don’t like this compulsive, instantaneous, over- information, lack-of-privacy, weirdo aspect of the world. If you meet someone, they already know everything.
'What about showing up on the date and saying, “What do you do for a living? Who are your friends?” Yes, you can avoid maybe a serial killer, but who f**king knows? I am a romantic and it scares me…’

While she isn't a fan of the internet, Barrymore does like to use the phone and has admits varying degrees of success with phone sex.
She explains: 'Oh, I’ve had successful phone sex - it can work. I think it’s f**king weird - it’s super weird.
'I totally tried it, though, with a little success at one point in my life, but it was just a thing you try, like wearing orange for a while. I don’t think it’s something I could live my life with.'
The actress has been in an on/off romance with He's Just Not That Into You co-star Long for three years, but refuses to clarify the current status of their relationship.
Earlier this year, the blonde star admitted many people were confused by her relationship with Long.
She said: ''We're good friends and we're doing a movie together this summer and I think it's very confusing.
'We're dear friends. I guess people find it a little confusing. I totally understand. It seems like, 'What is the deal with them?,' but we just adore each other.
'We're in each other’s lives, and we're friends, and we're working together, and we have worked together.