Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Ryan Murphy disses Modern Family on lack of gay kiss

“I hate it on TV shows, and there’s one show that I won’t name right now, where it’s like ‘Why aren’t these character kissing? Don’t they have a child?’ That’s ridiculous to me. I don’t understand it.."




He didn’t mention Modern Family by name but there’s no mistaking what show Glee creator Ryan Murphy was talking about Monday when he said: “I hate it on TV shows, and there’s one show that I won’t name right now, where it’s like ‘Why aren’t these character kissing? Don’t they have a child?’ That’s ridiculous to me. I don’t understand it.”

Modern Family has come under criticism because its gay couple, Cam and Mitchell [Eric Stonestreet and Jesse Tyler Ferguson], have yet to share an on-screen kiss while other couples on the show have.

Added Murphy: “If I did it on my show, I would just have them do it in every scene and not have a big deal about it. I don’t think that you have to announce a very special episode. Weren’t they doing it back on Roseanne? It is just so outdated and archaic to me and as a gay man, I would never do that. I would make it very organic and do it several times and not make it a stunt.”

Murphy’s remarks came while talking to reporters informally after a session at the TV Critics Association Press Tour and were in response to a question about an upcoming same-sex kiss on Glee for Santana (Naya Rivera) and Brittany (Heather Morris).
“I’m directing the episode where they’re going to kiss a couple of times. The key is to do it a couple times so it doesn’t seem forced.”